Downie Langthorne wins GOLD for Aussie Team at Rescue 2010
Our very own Downie Langthorne helped Australia win the Inter-National Teams Point-score at the World Life Saving Championships at Alexandria (Egypt).
Australian Surf Life Saving defeated their arch rivals New Zealand by 24 points (800 to 776). A total of 44 nations competed in this stage of the championsips. Italy & Germany pushed both Australia and New Zealand in the competition, but the experience of the Aussie surf/beach team shone through in the end.
Downie played a very large part in the teams success with his leadership in the SERC (Simulated Emergency Rescue Competiton) never in doubt, gaining the aussie team a world gold medal!
He also got a silver medal in the Oceanman Relay (Taplin Relay) as the ski paddler.
Downie played an important part in the overall victory for the team, with other personal highlights being;
* 6th in the Open Male Ski Race
* 9th in the 100m Manikin Tow with Fins
* 12th in the 100m Rescue Medley
* 12th in the 200m Super Lifesaver
* Member of the 4 x 25m Men's Manikin Relay team that placed 5th
* Member of the 4 x 50m Men's Medley Relay team that placed 6th
* Member of the 4 x 50m Men's Obstacle Relay team that placed 7th
Our own Bulli Team have also arrived in Alexandria and I am sure Downie will gee them up for the inter-club competition which starts on Monday 11 October with 3 days of pool rescue events & then 3 days of surf/beach events.