Surf Club Extensions & Refurbishment starts 25 July 2016
Exciting news for the surf club with the building extensions on the southern side finally been given the tick of approval from Wollongong City Council and the sucessful building company Project Coordination (AUSTRALIA) Pty Ltd to start works on Monday 25th July 2016.
Unfortunately for us the pain will be that we won't have access to the surf club until February 2017 (proposed completion of stage 1 of the project).
Stage 1 is up to lock up for ground level. Stage 2 is the fit out of level 1 of the extensions, which is financially our responsiblity, this was negoitated with council. The approx cost with-out Stage 2 fitout is around $2.3M.
This has been a 6 year process securing funding including grants, club fundraising and council coming to the party to make this a reality for our members.
The works also include a complete refurbishment of the existing club premises, new electrical work, painting inside of the surf club, extra bathroom and change faclitiies for our members along with the extensions.
A quick overview of the extensions is listed below;
- Provide additional enclosed storage space for surf lifesaving craft and equipment (surf club & council equipment)
- Convert existing meeting room into storage space for junior activities section, smaller training room and additional shower area
- Expand exercise room into existing storage area to suit existing equipment needs
- New entry, stair to upper floor and disability access lift
- Existing car-park to remain with ambulance access maintained
- Provide new training room for club meetings and large group training sessions
- Provide new office for club manager/secretary
- Kitchen and toilet facilities
- Storage for tables & chairs
- New observation deck/balcony facing beach and parkland
- New stair access, including a disability access lift
- Maintain access to lifeguard observation room
The proposed development will alleviate the current storage/amenities problem at the surf club and is seen as a great development for the future needs of our members.
Season 2016-2017 is going to be challenging but we are sure that our leaders within the club will be prepared to operate with all facets of surf club activity happening as per normal...well as effeciently and effectively as possible.